Wednesday 6 February 2013

Waitangi Day

Another theme day is here! Today is Waitangi Day, New Zealand's national day. My relationship with New Zealand is not as strong as my relationship with Australia. I have not lived in the country, but I've traveled through it in the course of a month in 2007. What I remember most is how different the North Island and the South Island are, when it comes to the nature. The South Island are mainly fjords and mountains (like here in Norway), while the North Island is characterized by volcanic activity. Whilst on the North Island I visited a Maori village i Rotorua, (a typical tourist thing to do). There we were introduced to Maori art forms, their ancient rituals and traditions. I loved their food, Te Hangi, a meal from the earth oven. Read more about the Maori Experience here.

2 comments:

  1. The picture is very impressive! You are so lucky to have traveled in New Zealand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree with Dina, how lucky you were to travel there! I love the descriptions of your time there.

    ReplyDelete